After a pause of two years, the Simposium Kejuruteraan Awam & Struktur (SiKAS) 2022 was successfully held on 29-30 March 2022 at Pullman Kuala Lumpur, Bangsar.
The first and biggest event of Malaysian Structural Steel Association (MSSA) was jointly organised with Public Works Department Malaysia [Jabatan Kerja Raya Malaysia (JKR)]. This was held exactly two years later than originally planned due to the postponement caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
SiKAS was organised to create awareness and showcase the latest engineering technologies such as Building Information Modelling (BIM) and Industrialised Building Systems (IBS), including the use of steel structures and other methods of engineering in our move towards Industry Revolution 4.0.
The joint efforts between MSSA and JKR to create such awareness to the public and industry players was originally mooted by YBhg. Dato’ Sri Ir. Dr. Roslan Bin Md Taha, the Immediate Past President of MSSA. YBhg. Datuk Ir. Mohamad Zulkefly Sulaiman who subsequently took the helm of MSSA and JKR was extremely supportive of the idea and continued to ensure the proposed event is organized successfully.
The memorable event was officiated by the Minister of Works, YB Dato' Sri Haji Fadillah bin Yusof as the Guest of Honour.
The two-day conference was attended by a total of 300 participants from throughout Malaysia including the representatives from JKR and other Government Agencies, MSSA members, universities, contractors and other professional firms.
MSSA President, YBhg. Datuk Ir. Mohamad Zulkefly Sulaiman in his welcome speech emphasised the theme ‘Getting Things Done, The Art of Doing Things Right’, when he described that the successful implementation of a project is highly dependent on the optimization of the use of latest technology, building materials applications as well as the application of engineering best practices. Knowledge, skills and expertise are needed to adapt and integrate all the above initiatives in improving the quality of existing work processes towards a more systematic, efficient and effective.
YBhg. Datuk Zulkefly highlighted that the Government through the Public Works Department has taken steps to strengthen the adoption of BIM in projects with a target of 50 to 90 percent of projects worth at least RM 10 million to be implemented through BIM based the Public Works Department Strategic Plan (JKR) 2021-2025.
Minister of Works, YB Dato' Sri Haji Fadillah bin Yusof in his keynote address said, “this symposium is in line with the Government's efforts to make adoption of technology as one of the national agenda, especially in transforming the construction sector.” The National Construction Policy (NCP) 2030 with theme “Digitalising Construction Sector” is one of the key initiatives by the Government in transforming the whole construction sector towards the digitalisation era.
He felt that the theme is both timely and relevant whereby there was a need to upgrade the skills and knowledge of local contractors especially in a post pandemic Covid-19 world which has led to more challenging working conditions.
SiKAS 2022 – Exhibition Booths
A total of 17 booth exhibitors participated in SiKAS 2022 showcasing their innovative products. After the Official Opening Ceremony, YB Minister was accompanied by MSSA President to visit all the booths. The exhibitors were as follows:
1. Bandworks GPS Solutions Sdn Bhd
2. Zenbes Sdn Bhd
3. Automation & System Sdn Bhd
4. Ari Utara Sdn Bhd
5. Sima Kimia Sdn Bhd
6. MAPEI Malaysia Sdn Bhd
7. Duro Metal Industrial (M) Sdn Bhd
8. Pintas Utama Sdn Bhd
9. STO Sea Sdn Bhd
10. Integrated Brickworks Sdn Bhd
11. MES Innovation Sdn Bhd
12. LBS Bina Group
13. Atostect Fibreglass Sdn Bhd
14. Astasoft Sdn Bhd
15. Bayer Co. (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
16. Jabatan Kerja Raya Malaysia
17. Malaysian Structural Steel Association (MSSA)
MSSA Council Member, Mr Law Wai Ho of Hiap Teck Venture Berhad through his wholly owned subsidiary Huatraco Scaffold Sdn Bhd joined our booth and showcased the C60 Shoring Systems. This system is a multi-directional & multi-level heavy duty shoring equipment which support all types of heavy structures and is manufactured to comply with British Standard BS 5975 and BSEN 12812.
SiKAS 2022 – Conference
During this two-day conference, a total of 11 papers were presented by the industry experts, practitioners and experienced academicians, including topics on steel structures, BIM, structural laminated timber and seismic design. On the first day, five papers were presented as below:
1. YBhg. Dato Sri Ir. Dr. Judin Bin Abdul Karim of Malaysian Resources Corporation Berhad with topic “Modular is the Future of Construction”. He emphasized that modular building is more sustainable in the long term which is greener and faster to build.
2. YBrs. Prof. Ir. Dr. Azlan Bin Adnan of Universiti Tecknologi Malaysia (UTM) who is also Deputy President of MSSA with the topic of “Developing Seismic Hazard Maps for Malaysia National Annex MS EN1998: Part 1”.
3. YBhg. Dato’ Ir. Hjh Hashimah Binti Hashim of Putrajaya Holdings Sdn Bhd and YBrs. Puan Zaidatul Binti Ahmad Zubel of KLCC Projeks Services Sdn Bhd with topic “Parcel F Project BIM Journey: Rise Above the Odds”.
4. YBrs. Ir. Dr. Zuhairi Bin Abd. Hamid of Construction Research Institute of Malaysia (CREAM) with the topic “Productivity Measuring Tool for IBS Implementation in Building Construction Projects”.
5. YBrs. Prof Dr. Zakiah Binti Ahmad of Kolej Pengajian Kejuruteraan Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM) with paper on “Structural Laminated Timber as Mass Timber Construction: Put Forward as Future Sustainable Avenue”.
Day 2 conference continued with six presenters as follows:
1. YBrs. Ir. Parnam Singh of SHR Associates with topic “Lessons Learned from Forensic Investigations”.
2. YBrs. Ir. Mohd Assyarul Bin Saadun, Jabatan Kerja Raya Malaysia with topic “Fragility Evaluation of Government Buildings”.
3. YBrs. Ir. Hjh. Atikah Binti Abdul Hamid of Jabatan Kerja Raya Malaysia with topic “The Construction of BioEcology Drainage System at the Proposed JKR Pilot Projects”.
4. YBrs. Ir. Steven Ng Si Yoon of Sika Kimia Sdn. Bhd. with topic “Introduction to the Design for Structural Strengthening Solutions Based on Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer (CFRP) and Sika Carbodur Design Software in accordance to TR55 and Eurocode”.
5. YBrs. Ir. Dr. Mohd Asbi Bin Othman of Mohd Asbi & Associates, with topic “Design Approaches and Case Studies of Shallow Foundation on Problematic Ground”
6. YBrs. Ir. Dr. Mohd Sabri bin Abdullah, DRSA Consulting Sdn Bhd – “Lesson Learned as Independent Checker”.
YBrs. Ir. Hj. Badioezaman Bin Ab. Khalid, Organising Chairman of SiKAS 2022 cum Council Member of MSSA delivered the closing remarks. He thanked all committee members for working tireslessly to make SiKAS 2022 a success. Together with YBrs. Prof. Ir. Dr. Azlan Bin Adnan, Deputy President of MSSA, they presented the Certificate of Appreciation to all exhibitors.
SiKAS 2022 ended successfully, credit to a group of dedicated Committee Members especially JKR, led by YBhg. Datuk Ir. Mohamad Zulkefly Sulaiman and YBrs. Ir. Hj. Badioezaman Bin Ab. Khalid and MSSA Council Members who had given support to the event.
MSSA OPEN IDEAS COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS (OIC-2022)
Malaysian World Expo 2025 Pavilion
“Designing Future Society for Our Lives” @ November 2022MSSA Newsletter May 2022 (FINAL).pdf